Tuesday 12 May 2020

a few moments on the homestead


Dear Friends,

I hope that you are safe and all well? Oupie is finally home from hospital and he is doing so much better. He joined us for our Mother’s Eve braai and he even climbed in and helped braai meat. He wondered the garden with the small ones and watched on while encouraging them as they climbed the climbing rope. It was bitterly cold but we persevered through the bite - huddled around the braai - while waiting on the food to be cooked. 

Winter’s icy talons have its hold on us early this year. I cant remember a time when it was so cold this early in the year. The light over our backyard has changed. We are surrounded by pines and thickets of bamboo so the days warmth only last a few hours. I find myself beckoning the small ones in earlier and earlier these days and they seem to be gravitating towards rising with the later warmth of the sun and yawning much earlier in the evening - which leads to a earlier bed time too.

Meal times are calling for more filling foods like stews and soups. I must admit that I am grateful we got the Celery into the ground when we did as they are such a delicious treat when added to these hearty meals. This weekend we were harvesting the last of the Avocados that we can for the year. The others are just way to high up in the tree! I am sure the Vervets are happy about this. The troupe we have this season are the grown babies from spring and they seem to be a little more temperamental this year than their predecessors before. (I think I say this every year!) All the boys cleared space beyond the lapa to the side of the Bamboo thicket and found an abundance of Shu Shus, now although I am not a big fan of them they do fill the spot. They are a little too sweet for my liking. We roast them and fry them up like potato chips and I have heard that they can be added to stews and the likes but I am a little hesitant to do that. I may have to do a little more research to see how else they can be prepared as there will be an abundance of them this year. Rob has packaged a whole lot to send off to those who would like to try them. So if you are in the area and would like a couple let me know.

Home school lessons are in full swing and we have found a perfect rhythm to see us into the June/July exams. Mid year exams always seem to creep up on us but we are ready this year. The older boys are days away from completing their studies too. By June Joshua should be a qualified TEFL teacher with Tristan following on not too far behind him.

Life is calm and steady at the moment. We don't talk too much of that ugly disease anymore. We just get on and do things that need to be done to prevent ourselves from coming into contact with it and subconsciously hope for the best. Life goes on and so must we albeit a new way of life.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting and for the love you always shower on me and mine. 

Much love from us all
The Pitout Home πŸ’—
psst.. Are you on instagram? Let's connect here

6 comments:

  1. There's so many words that are unfamiliar to me in your post, but that's the great thing about reading about life in other countries, there's so much to learn. We've had a lovely spring so far but it's turned cooler again just now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are handling this terrible time, in the best way possible. Having a routine and getting needed things done. And following Natural rhythms. And not talking much about it. Such discussions do nothing but rile us up. Which certainly is not good for us.

    Gentle hugs,
    Take care,
    πŸŒΈπŸ’›πŸŒ·πŸ’›πŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete
  3. On yes, watch "Outlander"! -smile-

    But not as a family.

    Gentle hugs,
    Take care,
    πŸŒΈπŸ’›πŸŒ·πŸ’›πŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems strange to read about winter approaching when here we are heading for the summer with it its sheer endless daylight hours :-)

    I had to look up shu shus, I think it is also known as chayote? I've never seen one in a shop here (but I haven't looked).

    So glad that Oupie is out of hospital and better x

    ReplyDelete
  5. not talking about the disease seems to be the best thing to do. I sometimes forget about it when I am totally engrossed with my knitting. I love when fall comes around and the days get chilly and the meals turn to warm comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a beautiful garden. It looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. We do read each and every comment left here on our small blog. Please know that we appreciate and feel so very blessed that you have taken the time to keep up with us through your busy day. Have a lovely day further.